Sunday, August 30, 2009

Roasted Tomatillo & Hatch Chili Salsa

What you need...


The beautiful result


As I was saying on my family blog, Scott and I spent hours this weekend processing a bushel (1 and 1/9 bushel to be exact) of Hatch Chilies. We did it last weekend too but after gifting some and eating some, we decided we needed more. Today I made Roasted Tomatillo & Hatch Chili Salsa as well as last weekend's Hatch chili/lime/sour cream dip. It was incredible. I'm pretty sure Scott loves me a little bit more after today's lunch. Seth thought it was "bonus-dangerous good." That's "fantastic Mom, you're amazing" in 5 year old speak. Y didn't get any but on a side note, did eat the chili/lime/sour cream dip with his hands. Just saying.

What you need...
4 tomatillos husked
1 large tomato
1 C Hatch chilies - roasted
1/2 white onion peeled
4 garlic cloves
2 serrano peppers - seeds removed
1 teaspoons cumin
1/2 cup cilantro
1 med lime
Salt

Chop tomatillos, garlic and serrano peppers (remove seeds unless you like it hotter) and roast in a 400 degree oven for 15 mins. While that is roasting, put roasted chilies, onion, cilantro, tomato, juice of one lime, salt (to taste) and cumin into the food processor and wait. ;) Remove tomatillo mix from oven and place in food processor. Blend well. Probably the best salsa I've ever had. If anyone knows about Scott's salsa, you know what a huge statement that is.

4 comments:

  1. Ahh yes..tis inspired by Rebecca the Great's recipe. I didn't have a lb of tomatillos, added a tomato, lime, hatch & serrano..used less onion and cumin..it's a work of freaking art. I may have to go get more chips. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally making this for this weekend. I always make homemade salsa but never with hatch. Can not wait to try out your recipe.

    Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made this and it's awesome. Thanks Susan and Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete